Saturday, March 11, 2006

i'm ok, you're going to hell

So here's a question. Why is it that judgmental people always take offense at being told that they are being judgmental? How can someone literally be in the process of judging someone else's life and then become irate at being told that they are being judgmental?

When some beauty-queen bitch in college thought I was out of earshot, she called me a dyke. Ok, so it's not 100% accurate, but I like the ladies and I really don't care what anyone else has to say about it. When I walked around the corner, I told her that if she was going to try to mock me, she might want to pick something that's actually an insult. The look on her face was priceless. I'd get it printed on Christmas cards if I could, because it gives me a warm feeling in my heart even just to think about how she must have felt at that moment--exactly the way she HOPED it'd make me feel.

If I'm known as a carpet-munching poet for all the rest of my life, then that's fine. I AM a carpet-munching poet. My point is that if you don't want to be known as a judgmental asshole, then don't act like one.

I don't judge, but I can't listen to people who want to dictate how anyone else lives. Whether it's homophobia, anti-choice nonsense, or preachy zealots who want everyone to convert to their religion, I just can't listen to that garbage. That's the general problem I have with this alarming new breed of conservatives--they aren't content just to have an opinion. They want to make sure that everyone else adheres to it.

They can't just not have an abortion--they want me to have the baby, even if I were raped. They can't just go marry a woman--they have to make sure I don't. And I better put down that fucking Koran right this second.

(I apologize to my conservative friends, none of whom have ever bombed a clinic or beat up someone for wearing a turban.)

I am sick of people saying things that are extremely bigoted and then accusing others of being racist. I'm sick of being forced into an argument and then being mocked for sticking up for myself. I'm sick of assholes accusing me of being stupid and naive simply for having a view of the world that doesn't label everything as either Bad or Good.

And you know what? I am not obligated to listen to anyone's bullshit. If you want to go live your life as a nasty, closed-minded person obsessed with meaningless societal norms, then go ahead. I'll be over there with the boys in the dresses.

1 comment:

Scottie said...

Awww Babe, I'm with ya. ::hugs::

Call if you want to talk.